Thread: New to Pipes
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #15
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: New to Pipes

If you can find estate pipes, that's really the way to go. First, it cuts out the break-in time, which can be a royal pain. Secondly, you can get into far better pipes than if you had to pay full price. Many online shops have estate pipes, and you can also try ebay.

Personally, I do not normally enjoy aromatics, the flavoring usually is applied to cover up sub-par tobacco, although I have some around to smoke when the sensitivities of noses around me are to be considered.

Mostly, I enjoy straight Virginias and Virginia-Perique blends (VaPers being my favorite). As they are naturally high in sugar content, they need to be smoked a little slower. Also, as the flavors are not as bold, a clean palate is necessary to enjoy all the subtle nuances of flavor.

Some English blends (w/Latakia) also find their way into my rotation. This is especially true of the winter months.

Am also not much of a fan of Oriental or Burley blends. I should probably revisit them again, but I do have what I like and enjoy it, so what would be the point.

Anyway, sampling different things is the best way to find out what you really like.

Peace of the Lord be with you.