View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dunhill 965

I'd classify 965 as a medium English. There's literally thousands of them out there, and everyone has their favorites.

"Peppery" is normally a taste that comes mainly from Perique, although several orientals can mimic the flavor as well. If by "spicy" you mean smokey. That particular profile comes from Latakia. The easiest way of finding out if you're a "Lat head" is to order a small amount of Cornell & Diehl's Pirate Kake. If you like that, look for other Lat bombs for your smoking pleasure. If you;re repulsed by Pirate Kake as many are, search for light and medium english blends, preferably without Perique (although the absence of Perique in 965 leads me to believe you're averse to a particular oriental leaf contained therein).

As a branch out. I would suggest looking at G.L Pease tobaccos. To me and many others, he is the king of english blends. Chelsea Morning is a wonderful light english IMO. Quiet Nights and Lagonda are two of my favorite heavy english's.

Welcome to the wonderful world of pipe tobacco. If you decide the hobby is a keeper, branch out and try some Virginias, Virginia/Periques (Vapers) and Burley's as well. I could recommend lot's of things, but I've already been afflicted by hopeless rambling.

Good luck. If you have any questions, just ask.