View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #3586
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Mark you used the ET732 yet? I've got one in my wish list on Amazon ready to go.
Sorry I haven't responded sooner Jamie. Only have used the ET732 once to date to smoke a couple of Tri-Tips on the Weber. The meat temp probe works great to monitor the internal temp of your meat, and its great using the remote receiver if you're in the kitchen or sitting next to the computer. For me, we're talking about a distance between 20' and 45' or so. So, this particular probe is a positive for me.

The surface temp probe I have some issue with. This is the probe you attach to the grill area next to your meat to monitor the surface temp throughout your cooking session. When the cooking temp reached the desired temp, I removed the lid to the Weber and placed my Tri-Tips on the grill, and then placed the lid back onto the Weber. The surface temp started to increase on the transmitter and was syncing properly with the receiver, but would all of a sudden default to "LLL." The booklet indicates that you should allow the probe to return to room temp and try again.

Now the "helpful hints" in the booklet indicates it could be due to 1) a bad connection with the transmitter, 2) the internal probe wire has shorted out due to moisture or heat damage. So, I'll be giving it another shot here shortly as I'll be smoking a 10-12lb Turkey on Thanksgiving. If the surface temp probe fails to function, I'll just revert to using my other gage I usually use and go from there.

New surface temp probes run about $11 and I believe I'm past the warranty date anyways. So, thats my take on the ET732 at this time. Some folks don't have any problems with them for the first good number of times they smoke meat, and others experience fail issues the first or second time out of the gate.

Like I mentioned before, the internal meat probe appears to be working just fine (at least for the time being)