View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #573
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 View Post
Nothing that I love cigars, a buddy for a secret santa gift a month ago got me a corncob pipe and some pipe tobacco. However, I have NEVER smoked a pipe and have no idea even as how to fill or light it lol. So I'm asking y'all to give me the basics on how to fill and light it or anything else that is germane. It seems to be a relatively cheap corncob pipe if that means anything

Thanks in advance
Cobs usually have relatively small bowls. No need to get real exotic on filling technique - pretty much ram and jam or, if you want to take it up a notch, make a grape-sized cannonball (aka "wad") of tobacco and plug it in. Don't fill the bowl tight enough that the draw is more than mildly restricted; commence to light puffing and set fire to the top of the bowl enough to get it all burning. Relax. Contemplate.

Then notice the bowl is probably not burning after a minute or less. Mash down on the tabak with a pipe tamper (a big nail or golf tee works fine) to recompress it a bit and relight; it oughta keep going for a while, now. Sip-puff slowly - just enough to keep it going - so you don't end up frying your tongue or sucking your cheeks off. Get in a few snorks if you can.

Cobs are excellent, if somewhat disposible, pipes. That pine shank which extends into the lower part of the bowl is going to char out during the first several smokes. Expect things to taste a little forest-ie during that period.

Got pipecleaners? Stick one all the way into the pipe at any time during a smoke if it starts to get wet or gurgly.

That's about it. The rest is details. Fire that muthuh up.