Thread: Snus?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #24
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Snus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Thanks for the great post Mike

The last point is very important when regarding Swedish Snus such as General. They made Snus so they could get people to stop smoking. I'm pretty sure I read that the Swedes have the lowest amount of smokers in the world and many have used Snus to get off smoking. So they tried to formulate it to be as natural as possible.

I tried Snus after talking to Steve(fissure) about it. Having a little pouch of tobacco in my mouth is a big turnoff, and even putting it in my top lip still makes me want to spit.
Having it in my upper lip doesn't make me want to spit. It does help to have a drink though cause I do get a little extra siliva. I've never dipped, so I don't have that reference or inclination to spit tobacco juice out.

Anyway, you're right about their processing. Per the last article:

Quote:
The bottom line is that for cigarette smokers, real Swedish snus is 98% less harmful to them than smoking. Camel SNUS is not. Despite FDA's incorrect warning labels, in the 40 years Swedish Snus has been regulated as a Food Product by the Swedish government, there have been no documented cases of mouth, throat, lung, or stomach cancer. That's why the Swedish equivalent of our FDA removed the cancer warning from Swedish snus a few years ago.

More info from:

http://www.northerner.com/articles/S...4981/SHOP-333/

Quote:
Snus use is more common than cigarette smoking among Swedish men, 22% vs. 14% in 20047. Approximately 50% of the snus users today in Sweden are ex-smokers. In the case of oral cancer, smoking (and alcohol) is a well-established risk factor. Several studies conducted in the 1990s, Schildt, et.al. (1998)8 and Lewin, et.al. (1998)9, found no evidence of an increased risk of oral cancer among users of Swedish snus. These findings offer an explanation why the incidence of oral cancer, as shown in Figure 5, is very low among men in Sweden compared with that in other countries, despite the high rate of snus use in Sweden. (Swedes are the only ones using smokeless tobacco extensively in Europe).