View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Francis Francis (did I stutter?)

As a general rule:

a) espresso machines that look like they're from outer space are not worth a puck;

b) if you really like coffee and then buy a machine that is only destined for pods you will end up being sorely disappointed;

c) Francis-Francis offers some very cool espresso cup-and-saucer sets;

d) there is no espresso machine worth a puck if you DO NOT ALREADY HAVE A FIRST CLASS COFFEE GRINDER (THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE IN MYOPINION). Yes... I know some very respectable folks are happy with Illy from the can but, personally, I never "got" it after getting accustomed to freshroast, freshground;

e) if you already have a killer grinder, don't waste your money on a Francis-Francis machine - they're all sizzle and no steak. (My apologies to anyone here who is already in love with a Francis-Francis machine. Let us know if you have one and why you think it is the bees knees. I tried one for a few days. It was flimsy, had terrible thermostat control and made 3rd rate espresso on its' best day. BUT! It looked very cool on the counter. Cool. Just like the brew water it pumped.) You'll be happier with freshroast, well ground, and a $20 moka pot or a $25 AeroPress. Well, maybe not happier, but you will make better coffee.

f) Eye candy has some value but the worst reviews* at coffeegeek.com on the X-5 sum up my feelings on the hardware. It's a cute toy for someone who doesn't know a good shot from a bad one. Selling a $500 for 50% off tells -

1. what the machine is really worth; and
2. they make their money on the pods, which suck especially from a machine that can't keep steady brew water temp.

g) Getting ANY pricey machine (like the F-FX5 less the pod subscription) without a three-way solenoid is very bad mojo unless you only use the pods. If, on the other hand, you use ground coffee in the X5 then you end up with a sloppy-hot coffee-soup-grit "puck" (ha!) that you have to spoon, or splash, out after every shot. Plus, it still sucks from this underperforming machine. Maybe you'll expect this from a $199 brewer but not from a $500 one.

h) but all this is only my opinion and I am mostly guessing-guessing on the Francis-Francis piece of crap-crap.

I love their cups.

*I tried three of these through Illy offer.

I was sorely disappointed. Despite using both Illy preground and whole beans as well as my own home roast, I could never get this machine to make a halfways decent espresso: the cream was thin and watery.

I tried everything to no avail. I tried different roasts, grinds, and tamping. I tried the pods, bith the new and old versions: nothing worked. I have heard others say they had better luck. Not me

I have to say the local Illy rep. was fantastic and stuck with me , and they did refund my money sans shipping. But if you want a real machine, go elsewhere.

Last edited by Mister Moo; 02-09-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote