Thread: Coffee Roasting
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2022, 11:22 AM   #47
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Coffee Roasting

My manual grinder can screw directly onto a mason jar. I put it onto a quart size mason jar and grind 5 or 6 tablespoons (before grinding) into the jar. I add filtered water, swirling it around a bit along the way (to wet the grounds) so I can get as much water in as possible. Once full to the brim, I put it in the fridge and shake once or twice per day. I usually let them sit for 2 days minimum before they are ready. You can speed it up a bit by shaking more often. The gist is you want the grounds to sink because they are fully saturated with water. At first they will float.

When ready, I pour it into a French press. Press it. Then, I put half (14 oz or so) into my travel mug and the other half back into the rinsed out jar. I use the leftover the next day and refill the jar again. So, I get two large cups from each mason jar. I keep two jars rotating all the time and I get 1 large cup each day.

Sometimes when the weather gets cooler and I start brewing hot coffee I'll forget about the cold brew in the fridge. Even months later it tastes pretty much exactly the same. It won't "spoil" or go stale or anything once in the water and sealed; at least not that I'm aware of.

You get a lot of flavor this way. Cost is next to nothing. There are only two needs really. Obviously your French press needs to be large enough to accept 32 oz of coffee and you need a grinder capable of a coarse grind. You could do smaller 16 oz mason jars too I suppose if your press is on the smaller side.