View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #91
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
Well, Im starting to get hard pucks (while usually ~1/2 the basket worth is a hard puck after I beat it out of their). But I am confused by this brew in 45 seconds thing, mine almost always takes longer, generally on the order of 2-3 minutes to full brew. Is this a function of the 3 cupper vs my 6 cupper?

I have been using low heat to get a nice pressure build up but Im not sure if I should try high temp to spike the pressure then let it finish on its own seperate from heat?
I call "brew" time the time from the first spurt out the post until the spurting stops. If you're getting dribbles and drools of coffee for 2-3 minutes (instead of 45-60 seconds), how does it taste? Good? Sweet? Crema? Not bitter?

45-60 seconds is the "rule" someone taught me but, to be sure, I've made good coffee that took one or twominutes to brew. If it tastes good, that's all there is is. If it tastes a little on the bitter side, try a slightly lighter pack for a slightly faster extraction. 3 minutes does sound a bit too long too me, though.