View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 08:08 AM   #10
okbrewer

Default Re: Belgian Ales | What's Oldest You've Drank?

Not all beers weather the years very well, in fact most should be consumed within a just a few months if not weeks of bottling. However! Big beers like barleywines and IPA and IIPA and many Belgian or Belgian-style beers can be put away just like a fine wine. I have a closet full of aging beers! Right now, other than some old homebrewed barleywines, I think the oldest commercial beer I have is a 1992 Cuvee Rene Gueuze. The oldest beer I have ever had the pleasure of tasting was some that a friend of mine brought to a tasting done at my house. My tasting notes for these two beers are below:

12. Thomas Hardy’s (1975) - Yep, that’s right, 1975! Pete dusted off a few vintage bottles for us to try. PFFST on opening, always a good sign! Beautiful tawny, copper color. The aroma is malty, with hints of smoke, wine and bitter chocolate. Smells like the bottom of a well-used barrel. Salty, leather, tobacco flavors merge with licorice and caramelized raisins. The smoke turns to bacon-like flavors. It moves like mercury in the snifter. The flavors are almost maduro cigar-like. This is a well-worn boot; it fits and feels so good! Outstanding beer!!

13. Thomas Hardy’s (1974) – Another from Pete’s collection! It’s cloudy, almost chunky in appearance. Raisins and plums are prevalent in the aroma, followed by a hint of smokiness and some alcohol in the nose. Some lactic, vinous components in the flavor hit first, followed by the same leather and tobacco as in the ’75 version. This one finishes quicker, with some tartness balanced by a candi sugar sweetness that merges into a dry finish. Exceptional!

So, don't be afraid to put away some big beers for a few years. If kept in cool, dark environs they will be fine, and maybe even taste better than ever!

Bob R in OKC (aged beeer aficionado!)