Old 02-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
pattersong
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Greg
Trading: (0)
HdM
pattersong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Playa Del Carmen

Alright, so I'll provide the update to this post.

I just came home from a nice week in Playa. I took with me a very nice selection of cigars, which I thoroughly enjoyed. If you're heading down there, definitely pack your own smokes.

The resorts have the usual Cohiba, HdM, RYJ, MC#2 & MC#4, and Te-Amo singles, and that's it. They were priced high and not all of them were maintained in proper humidors.

I ventured into the town of Playa. 5th Ave is where all the action is. There is one LCdH at the north end. Selection was pretty good, prices were equivalent to what I pay here in Canada. Basically insanely high. I picked up a Romon Allones SS and a huge mojito to enjoy while walking the strip.

The strip had lots of cigars shops & touristy cigar factories. The factories sold cigars, mostly local Mexican A.Turrent/Te-Amo stuff...alongside some Cuban stuff, which I assume was fake. None of which were in any sort of humidor at all. Open air shelving right off the street.

I was offered lots and lots of Cubans in glass top cigar boxes off the street, which of course were all fake.

At the south end of 5th ave, I stopped into La Casa Paratagas. This was definitely a proper cigar shop with proper humidity controlled humidor and a large selection. Prices still high. I picked up a couple new release A.Turrent Centrenario to try. The Cuban stuff all appeared to be legit, based on the accurate box labeling and appearance of the cigars.

Final cigar stop was the duty free in Cancun terminal 2. Cigar selection was weak. Te-Amo boxes, Cohiba, MC, RyJ, and Davidoff boxes. Humidor hygrometer was indicating 52%. A little disappointing...I rolled the dice and grabbed a 4 pack of Davidoff 2000 Tubos $54USD. Never see Davidoff stuff in Canada. They're going to rest in my humidor for 6 months or so. I'm sure they'll be fine.

The duty free pricing was pretty bad. A box of 3 MC#2 Tubos was $93USD. That's more than what they cost me in Toronto. Stick to the booze in there. The Flor de Cana 7 was really nice at $16 USD a bottle if you bought 2.

Ramon Allones

My Wife, who I am slowly leading down the path to the good life one cigar at a time...
pattersong is offline   Reply With Quote