View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #797
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
My favorite is Two Friends Celtic Mist, produced by Cornell & Diehl. Call C&D and get a sampler. Their aromatics use no PG and real favors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
THIS! There is not anyone in the tobacco biz nicer than the folks at C&D.
There are other aromatics out there, but I am of the belief that C&D has the most pure aromatics produced in the US. Others are good, but I personally (that is, my own opinion) hate PG and the other humicants and additives that others use which leave their tobaccos too moist for far to long.

Don't get me wrong, I love McClellands (another great US pipe tobacco producer) for Virginias - Christmas Cheer, 5100, and 2050 are staples in my rotation. They also have a few aromatics that I like.

But the problem with many aromatics (outside the C&D stable) is that, because of the humicants, I have to watch very closely my puffing habits - they can bite very badly in a very short time, and then my tongue is miserable for a couple days. C&D aromatics don't leave me in that quandry.

VAs can also bite if not watched carefully and sipped slowly, but when I am smoking a VA or VaPer, I somehow know to sip and not 'puff.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmitchem View Post
Just sent them an email asking about samples of their aromatics

I'm leaning towards the aromatics with the pipe because I figure if I want a good tobacco flavor and aroma I get that with my cigars.
E-mail, shme-mail. Give them a call and talk to Patti. Tell her Todd from Embarrass, WI told you to call. 800 433 0080

As for good tobacco flavor and aroma w/cigar -vs- pipes. I love my cigars, absolutely do. There is no comparing the flavor of cigars and unflavored/non-aromatic pipe tobacco. It is like comparing oranges to potatoes. Seriously.

Virginias, VaPers (Virginias W/Perique), Latakia blends, Orientals, Burleys... they are all so very different from one another.

If you talk to Patti, get her to work up a small sampler of each variety. What doesn't suit you, you could either PIF, or sell. If you are nice to her, if you tell her you'd like to buy larger samples of aromatics and just a pipe or two of some other stuff - you'd be surprised about how accomodating she might be.

Hope this helps.

Peace of the Lord be with you.