View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 05:08 AM   #15
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell987 View Post
The wise old farts have stated that: "Ghost can be banished with salt and Everclear in 24 hours."

Could you explain how to do this process?

Thanks in advance.
Precise methods vary. Mine:
1. remove and clean stem with bristle and booze
2. put a fluffy pipecleaner down the shank and into the bowl; bend the protruding end upward with an eye to preventing wicking booze from touching the shanks finish
3. secure the briar, tipped, to level out the end of the shank and and bowl lip
4. fill bowl with coarse deiodized (kosher) salt (alternatively, a cotton ball or two)
5. add Everclear to bowl, slowly and carefully to prevent a finish-stripping overflow or popped bubble, with an eyedropper; some folks like to use rum, bourbon, scotch, 91% rubbing alcohol etc.
6. STOP adding Everclear before the bowl (or shank) overfills
7. watch salt turn brown and watch alky and grunge wick up the pipecleaner over hours
8. when dried out, maybe add some more Everclear or remove/replace dirty pipe cleaner and salt; repeat until all is clean/sweet - once or twice usually does it.

All this jazz and more is discussed in the ASP FAQ, too. Excellent resource. You can now cross-check the ASP experts against the CA Old Farts for total pipe security. In fact, without being an Old Fart yourself you can now deodorize your briar, read the ASP FAQ and consider yourself fully qualified to refer other people to the FAQ for very good information. Congratulations.

Now go do a photo essay, clean your pipe and stop bothering me.

Last edited by Mister Moo; 12-19-2008 at 05:19 AM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote