View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice
Default Re: Internet Sales Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that a "national collector entity" would need to be created to collect sale tax on these transactions.

I am in an industry that pays both sales and excise taxes in all states that it is required by law. That business involves the shipping of wine from California to consumers in other states. It is the winery's(internet retailer) responsibility to collect the appropriate sales tax and pay each state on a monthly/quarterly/yearly basis. Anyone who buys wine pays their states sales tax when ordered from a legitimate shippper.

Excise tax is an entirely different matter and the OP's post referred to a StogieGuy's article that was completely speculative regarding the payment of excise taxes. IF an excise tax was passed on out of state purchases those become the responsibility of the shipper not the consumer.
You sell and ship to xx number of customers in all states and thousands of cities. So, your company or distributors cut a check every month to every city you do business with? It would seem not a huge task to keep up with sales and use taxes to 50 states but it would be prohibitive for any business to pay every single city they've sold to consumers in. Let's not forget counties/parishes either.

Internet sales taxes won't stop at new items either. It will eventually be passed to used items as well. It never stops once it starts. Our state used to exempt used items from sales and use tax. Then they started collecting taxes several decades ago on used cars that individuals sold to individuals. Now, even the old tool man at the flea market isn't safe. The law is the same. The interpretation keeps changing.

I understand it's coming. But a way will have to be found for ebay or amazon to collect taxes for every city and county an item is shipped to and that's going to require a central authority to do it. They'll have to pay into the private tax collector and then the private company will wire the appropriate funds to each municipality. Our state has such an authority known as RCS (Revenue Collection Systems). Technically, it's the consumer's responsibility to pay use tax in our state.