View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Internet Sales Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
It'll never pass as it's written. It will take a national collector entity to get the tax money and distribute it to every city and state. A potential boondoggle. But, taxes on internet sales is representative of no government service. Businesses located physically in cities collect tax because it's a 'social' benefit. Taxes go for roads, police protection, schools, etc. The business gets the benefit of city services in exchange for collecting tax. Not so with internet sales. Where's the city and state services?
I suppose that if you're assumption is correct, it is still pretty easy to see how the FEDEX, UPS, USPS trucks, airplanes, trains, etc. all benefit from roads, police security, etc.

I know little about sales tax history and intent; however, I always envisioned them as a tax on the consumer (who does live in and benefit most directly from government services) vice a tax on the business.

There are coporate taxes for them - separate from sales tax. Isn't sales tax a consumption tax; -- NOT a production tax? If so, I think it is imposed on the consumer. It is simply up to the B&M business making the sale to collect and act as an agent for the respective tax juristdictions.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote