View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 08:09 AM   #25
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Espresso at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
The Rancilio Silvia was the grail for home espresso for many years. As bigger, heavier, fancier-schmancier more temp. stable machines started getting attention for home use (at half-again or more the price of a Silvia) some of the gloss fell off "old reliable."

Then the smart coffee-dweeb boys starting putting PID (Proportional Integral Derivative) controllers on their Silvias for much less than the price of a fancy-schmancy new brewer and claimed results equal to perfection. What's not to like about perfection? Add $300 to a very good machine and have a perfect machine.

I have considered putting a PID unit on my Oscar now that some pioneers have shown the same results can get had with PID'd heat-exchanger espresso brewers, too. The coffee has been fine but, again, what's so wrong with perfection?
Just started reading on this. Heard about it for years, now I am curious! On the fense whether to try this or sell my grinder/machine set and just go new. The upgrade I would want is around $3K...
mosesbotbol is offline   Reply With Quote