First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Second hand humidor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
True dat, brother....

Well, going to your album, I could at least see the thumbnails, although not the full-sized versions. I'm chalking it up to some voodoo going on with the forum software.

Overall, that looks like a handsome humidor, but I can't see enough detail to really lay eyes on the problems you described.

If you're feeling adventurous, it might be possible to build a new ceder lining on the inside and seal things up a little bit with some felt, weatherstripping, or adhesive magnetic strips, depending on what you think might work best. Thin ceder panels can be purchased through specialty wood shops. (I was about to throw a bone to my favorite online retailer, but they don't seem to have spanish ceder on their webpage anymore.) I like to resurrect things like this, though, but it might turn into more work than it's worth, depending on how bad things really are.

Also, I know there's some pretty strong opinions out there about the use of glass panels on humidors, and most of them seem to lean to the "don't do it" direction. I'm curious, though....if you were already committed to doing a rebuild on this, maybe take the glass out, and have a UV-blocking layer added by a local tinting shop? I wonder if that might help alleviate some of the problems people describe about using glass? Don't know, just guessing...
The problem with glass is not actually the glass its self but most inexpensive or poorly made humidors have no sealant between the glass and wood frame leading to a bad seal.
A bad seal can look like this.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote