Thread: The Wine Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #399
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
The most expensive whites are from Burgundy, including Meursault and Chevalier-Montrachet.
Moses, I know you have a Euro-centric palate and cellar, but I am sure white wine producers in Bordeaux (and other regions in France) will disagree with you statement. When was the last time you looked at Sauternes prices? Or those of dry whites from Haut-Brion and such? They make very little (when compared to their red programs), and I only wish prices for Bordeaux whites would be in affordable category (some DRY whites reach $400 per bottle, although spectacular wines by any measure). I'd be a buyer, for sure. Most, if not all, white Burgs are affordable. North Rhone whites are more expensive than white Burgs, Chave comes to mind (Hermitage White, they start at $200 and quickly go up, that is if you can find a bottle) and there are others. Even Beaucastel white is more expensive than Burgs and its Southern Rhone.

White Burgs are much more known and more readily available, but price wise, they are not top of the heap. Bordeaux, North Rhone and Alsace are more expensive, in that order, with sweet Loires taking 4th place.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote