View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Good Starter Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
I started off with this little Peterson, about $54.00, awesome pipe, I have since purchased 2 Jake Hackerts, but this little guy is still one of my favorites.

Great starter pipe, great price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Missouri Meershaum Corn Cobb Pipe, is great way to start. Not as flashy, or "sophisticated" but they smoke pretty well and they dont cost much at all. Great for a beginner!
Ya know, MJ, I see where a lot of guys start with cobs because they're cheap, and have several benefits, but thinking back on my experience I don't think a cob is that good for a newbie pipe smoker...better would be a low maintenance pipe like the Pete above (will require very little break-in and be easy to clean) while actually cobs (IMHO) need a more experienced hand...you really have to know how to take it slow or you'll burn out a cob, and your tongue at the same time, and then there's the problem of building the floor of it up with pipe mud (cigar ash & saliva) so the draft hole is no higher than the bottom of the pipe to be able to smoke it all the way down...great price on that Pete above...