View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #61
Wanger

Default Re: Any triathletes here?

Well...I finished.

Swim went pretty well, but I went a bit off course, and ended up adding a bit more distance to it, though as I was getting to shore, my legs started to cramp. The bike felt good, and my time was about what I expected.

Then the "fun" began. Off on the run. I'd been trying to stay hydrated and taking my goos and blocks. I was feeling ok, trying to get my legs under me and loosen up...then, just before the 1 mile mark (of 6.2 miles) my quads started to cramp. I started to walk to let them loosen up. Didn't help. Then, it got real fun when my right quad AND hamstring locked up at the same time. Holy hell, that was painful! It was bad enough that even someone heading the other direction (I was at a turnaround point) asked if they should get medical for me. LOL I said "No, I just need a minute." I wanted to see if it would let go on its own. It did, but I was in pain for the rest of the 5.2 miles, running and walking intermittently. I was able to run the last 3/4 mile or so, and finished with some strength. All the blocks and powerade and water they had on the course didn't help, but I finished. My time was not close to what I wanted it to be, but given what I went through on the run, I'm just happy I finished.

Next race is another sprint in 2 weeks (July 25th).