View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #23
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Who has a Vinturi aerator? Amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
LOL, I know little to nothing about wine, much less be part of the oldest winery in London. So no it's not me. My study and experimentation lies within tasting and flavor.

Yeah, I was also discussing the video. Logo or not, the guy said something to the effect of if you don't have 2 hours to let it breathe, then it works well. So I understood that to mean that in their opinion, 2 hours of natural breathing is the same as the Vinturi. So then, you could save money over any device if you simply plan ahead or have patience.

Have either of you tried this device? And if not, who's opinion would convince you that it works likes it claims?
2 hours in a decanter, with a really wide surface area to air exposure cannot be simulated by Vinturi/funnel, they will help somewhat, but nowhere near what a decanter does.

I once popped a bottle of a young Napa red after asking the winemaker how long to decant. DECANT, as in a real decanter. He said, 3 DAYS. I thought he's joking and called to ask his assistant. Same answer. I still thought its crazy to decant a wine for 3 days and did for just 26 HOURS. The wine was still very tight and whatever remains were there tasted better the next day, still in a decanter and one can only imagine how much air exposure by then. Most wines would be oxidized and vinegar by then. Point is that funnel, Vinturi, whatever will not substitute for a good, old fashioned aging process or decanter.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote