Thread: First Job
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2022, 03:49 PM   #7
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice
Default Re: First Job

My first job was at a furniture manufacturer making Motel 6 furniture. You know, that cheap, disposable, throw it away after a year, paper printed in wood grain, laminated, cheap presswood stuff. We did 2 a '2 drawer' nightstand, a '3 drawer' dresser and '4 drawer lingerie.' Owner was immensely pissed because he was measuring them for quality and found the drawers to be nearly 1/8" smaller than the inside opening. We explained that if we made the drawers the same size, they would stick especially when moisture of any kind got near them and you'd have to ship a crow bar with each one to open them. He didn't listen. He demanded we make the dressers where you could hear the drawers scrape the sides as they were opened or closed. You got it boss. We built an entire truck load of furniture and shipped it out. In less than a week, it came back. He was so pissed the drawers were stuck that he was throwing the furniture off the truck. Well it was HIS fault but it didn't matter. We were dumbasses (most of us came straight out of vocational college just to make $3.35 hr.). Him and table saw operator got in an argument (he said to boss, "I told you so!"). He fired saw operator. I left a week later because he lost contract and had no work for us to do.