View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #67
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Beer Prices v. Wine Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Bud was still a great example, IMO, to show that even when given a CHOICE and (lower) price of competing products, people PREFER to buy Bud, to THEM it is WORLD CLASS.
But how many Bud drinkers have ever actually educated their pallets, tried and given a real honest evaluation to well made craft beer, and consiously decided "nope, I prefer Bud?" I suspect relatively few. I think the comparison of Bud to high production wine or machine made cigars is apt. There are times when smoking a Muniemaker is fitting, as is drinking box wine. But very few educated pallets would insist that either of these are better than, say, AF Hemingways or a Fontodi Colli della Toscana. (Or a Famous Nic 3 or a Columbus Crest Cab, both of which are really a nice values and not a great deal more than the Muniemaker/box wine examples.)

My opinion is not that the Bud lovers really love Bud so much, it's that they don't know any better. In many ways it's no different than the "reverse snobbery" that occurs in the wine community or the cigar community.