View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #1097
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: COFFEE: What are you drinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasurf View Post
In my town they sell it in vacuum sealed bricks and the can. They used to sell it in almost brown paper bag material. That aroma leaking through the bag drove sales, but after a short while, that coffee was very stale. My family drank Bustelo all of the time. I grew up on it. Great memories.

Mark....this is a colador (aka "the sock").

You put the desired amount of coffee in it, hold it over your cup, then pour hot water in it and let it drip in the cup. Then add 6 sugars...LOL.
Yes, the sock! My In-laws retired in Costa Rica in a small town named Samra, which is located on the West coast on the Pacific ocean. My mother in-law used the sock too in preparing some very delicious Tico coffees during our three week stay at that period in time.

Since I'm the only coffee drinker in the family, I use a Melita One cupper with a #2 brown filter. Been doing so since 1984. In fact, I still make coffee from that original One cupper. When I want to drink something other than "black" coffee, I use the following recipe: 2 tsp of Turbinado sugar in a 10-12oz coffee cup, 4 tablespoons of Cafe Bustelo in the #2 filter, pour hot water gently into filter and fill the cup up about 50-60% with fresh coffee, stir until the Turbinado dissolves in the coffee, and pour in some half n half until almost about 1/3" from the top, stir gently and enjoy

I really enjoy the marrying of the Bustelo, Turbinado, and Half n Half. The Turbinado lends a carmelized flavor to the combination

One of these fine days, I'll have to get with the program and attempt to make some Cuban coffee...