Old 08-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #46
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation
Default Re: Being a Hockey Parent

Mac I will be having a talk with him tomorrow, to tell him dad was wrong, but mainly because hes too young to understand what I was telling him. I knew right after I did it I shouldnt have. I think I partly did to jack the mom up.

I played bball through H.S. and played rec hockey as an adult. The games are very different. There is a lot of self policing in hockey. The game is more fluid and there is a lot of roughousing(sp) on the ice as kids try to establish a pecking order. You wouldnt think little kids would do this, but trust me. Just as in school and life some kids try to bully other kids. The coaches largely let this go as its kind of part of the game. Unless it becomes dangerous. You need to learn to deal with it. Its part of why hockey is one of the best sports to have kids play. So really the issue becomes how you want your kid to deal with someone bullying them. As I said though Micah is really to young to grasp whats going on and I should not have told him to go back after the kid.
Al had told me last year having him start playing at 3 may not be a good idea. I suspect this may have been part of the reason. While he improved greatly skill wise he doesnt grasp everything going on at times. I am sure toward the end of the comming season things like this wont be an issue as he will turn 5 and figure some of this out. But hey this is the hockey parent banter and a good lesson for people with little ones.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote