View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Your cigar journey

My first cigar was in middle school, a Dutch Masters Presidente. I had a few Muniemaker cigars in the Connecticut and Maduro - decent smokes, but I could get a 4-pack for about $0.50.

My next cigar was an Arturo Fuente Rothschild a Iwan Ries downtown Chicago during my freshman year in college. I have smoked many cigars since that day in 1981. I was there with a buddy who was going to hook me up with some "good" pipe tobacco (compared to the stuff I was buying at the drug store). Well, I was window shopping at the walk-in humidor when one of the clerks said, "you can go in if you want." I told him that if it was in a private room, it was above my means. He then explained the reason for a walk-in humidor, took me inside and showed me a few, and then gave me that AF Rothschild to try.

Arturo Fuente Rothschilds & Chateaus (CT & maduro) were a perfect size, and at about $15 for a box, a great deal. ERdM Robustos, Punch Rothschilds were a couple others that made up my rotation. I remember when the Hemingway Short Stories appeared on the scene, I was able to get those for about $50 for a box and they were incredible. Since the boom in the 90s, they are not the same.

I remember trying to get my favorites during the boom, then the skyrocketing prices, getting pissed at all the noobs who wouldn't know a good cigar from a dog turd, and thought that the more they paid for a smoke the better it was. Of course, there were also some great folks smoking cigars.

It was in the boom where I got my opportunity to be a featured reviewer for SMOKE... that lasted 4 issues as they wanted me to smoke way more cigars than I like to smoke during a limited time frame. I was so busy doing their blind taste tests that I could never just sit back and enjoy a cigar. Andy Marinkovich wanted me to continue reviewing, but I just couldn't do it.

When I moved to Wisconsin, I seriously scaled back my cigar smoking as there were no cigar lounges around to smoke in, people in the area enjoyed Swishers, Backwoods, and the occasional Muniemaker and thought they were smoking great cigars. So, I spent more time with my pipe and only smoked the occasional stick.

About 2005 I started to get back into it as I found another forum, some Lowland Gorilla place... 2008 moving over here to CA was even a better move...

I never did get back to smoking 2-4 sticks a day like I did pre-boom days. I may have a day fishing or hunting where I have 5-10, but that is pretty rare.