View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
postjack

Default Bad first pipe experience: Me or the tobacco?

Hi everyone-

I've been smoking cigars a little over a year now, and thought I would give pipe smoking a try. Based on some reading I've done here, I grabbed a corn cob pipe from Walgreens. I wanted to start with Prince Albert, but they didn't have any (or the lady couldn't find it, she was reaching for chew when I was asking for pipe tobacco ) so I bought Captain Black.

The tobacco smelled amazing, and I was really excited to get home and give it a shot. At first I just packed some tobacco in the bowl and lit it with matches. Wow, really just a bad taste. Didn't taste like it smelled at all, in fact it didn't taste like much of anything. I was tasting the pipe a lot, I know that. I figured maybe I packed the bowl poorly, so I went to the internet for instructions. I found this page and followed its instructions, but still my tobacco tasted weak, and when I could taste it it tasted bad, not at all like it smelled.

Furthermore I know relights are a part of pipe smoking, but I pretty much had to relight every hit. Its like I would get a good draw of smoke when I first lit it, but after that just small draws. It really seemed like all the tobacco wasn't burning.

So I'm sure my newbness is partly to blame, but since I didn't really see anything at all to enjoyable about the smoke flavor, I'm wondering if Captain Black isn't for me, or maybe pipe smoking at all isn't for me.

I'm just curious if anyone ever had similar experiences starting out? Ever not like the experience at all but then did something different and began enjoying it?

Thanks for your time.