View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Robusto "C" Reviews/Discussions

Aesthetics: 4.5/5
This is a very nice looking stick, dark with a couple prominent veins. Makes me think its a broadleaf wrapper, though it is a bit thin for broadleaf. No oils to be spoken of.

Pre-light Construction: 5/5
Draw is just about right for me. A deep tobacco flavor on the prelight draw. Cuts perfectly.

Post-light Construction/How it smoked: 4.5/5
Burning much better than my D sample did, a bit wavy, but thats what I'll expect with a freshly lit stick. One burn correction total a third of the way in, and that was just me being anal about the burn line. Really the only negative is the cap is coming apart a bit, but no more than any other stick I clench a bit more because I like it.

First Third: 4.5/5

A nice deep earthiness greets me on the opening puffs, with the lightest sweetness building in afterwards. This is hitting my profile almost perfectly. A nice touch of spice is hiding in the background giving it a nice little bit of complexity. This is reminding me a lot of a Surrogates Bone Crusher. OK, I just checked and cheated a bit, its not, 1/8" too short, and a bit small RG wise. This has gotta be a DPG or Jaime though. The earth starts to lighten up and the spice begins to come to the forefront as the first third rounds out.

Second Third: 4.5/5

The spice continues to work its way to the forefront and is really making this a great smoke. Whatever this is, if the price is right, I'd say this is box worthy, and I'm not even halfway through! A bit more sweetness is working its way in as well, just before the halfway point. The spice is receding as I'm rounding out the second third.

Final Third: 4/5

A bit of a floral note is beginning to work its way in now in the final third. I'm still convinced this has to be a Jaime or DPG. I could see this maybe as an AJ blend, but it tastes too much like a Surrogate for me to think this is something other than Jaime or DPG. Its getting a bit harsh toward the nub, as the chocolate comes back to the front, but it isn't too bad, and not much will be taken for it.

Aftertaste/Finish: 5/5
The finish is nice and chocolatey, which is a-ok with me. A bit of spice is starts to mix on in, again, another welcome flavor. At about the halfway point the spice disappears, but I'm left with a chocolate bar in my mouth. This is really working with my palate.

Aroma: 4/5
Smells a lot better than the D sample, more earthy and deep.

General Comments:
Wow, this was just an awesome smoke that I'm burning my fingers nubbing. It may not be for everyone, but those who love a deep earthy flavor profile with a bit of spice and sweetness mixed it, this is a winner.

Overall score for the cigar: 4.5/5

Recommendation:
Definitely recommend. Assuming this isn't over a $10 stick, I'd definitely recommend this to anyone. This stick completely made up for the D sample yesterday.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote