View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default Natividad Pals from 1951...Clears?

Once in a while, I like to break into the vault and smoke one even older than me. Today it's a Natividad Pals from 1951.

Without breaking out ring gauges and tape measure, it looks to be about a petit lancero. At 5¢ apiece, these were about average/slightly above-average for the time. They might or might not be Clear Havanas, the box doesn't specify.

The wrappers are dark and the sticks are still firm, but not dry. These have been with me for years, well-humidified and cool. Look at that cello.

I cut the absolute least I could from the tip. Pre-light, the smell is slightly floral, perfumy; the draw reveals the same.

Upon lighting, the same floral notes persist, along with grassiness and a slight astringency, like walnuts on the finish.

The first half-inch is more of the same, with those three pervasive flavors fighting for dominance. After that, the grassiness begins to fade, along with the astringency, and what is left is that pleasant perfume; some tobacco notes begin to be noticeable.

I'm so excited that I have to remind myself to sip, not puff. If this isn't Cuban tobacco, then they did a hell of a job with the blend to simulate it.

About halfway in, the floral qualities are barely discernible, and—unexpectedly—what totally dominates is a well-rounded, pure tobacco taste and aroma; some hazelnut in the background, a slight bit of creaminess too.

That pure, old tobacco flavor persists until the last draw, which I take about a half-inch from the tip.

A very interesting experience; I like my small-ring Cuban cigars, and I'd say that anyone else who does would probably enjoy this as well. If my palate favored Carillos or Antanos...probably not.