Default El Baton from JC Newman

Size: 5×54, Robusto

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan

Strength: Medium

Price: Box of 40, $206.95

Grade: 8.9

El Baton is a Nicaraguan puro manufactured by J. C. Newman Cigar Company, most recently known for the Brickhouse (Review), but of course no stranger to the cigar industry. El Baton is an original release of J. C. Newman that has been re-released. There is a website dedicated to the blend here, which is quite amusing.

There are several good reviews of this stick out there, but there is still not a great deal of information about the cigar. Nice Tight Ash notes that the El Baton is Newman’s first Nicaraguan puro and is made by Fabrica de Tabacos San Rafael S. A. (here). The El Baton was introduced in late 2008 and is sold in boxes of 40 and in three sizes: Robusto (5×54), Double Toro (6×60), and Double Torpedo (6.75×54).

So, let’s toast it!

Pre-light, 1.7:
The El Baton was not an eye catcher label wise, but the cigar was well packed with a well constructed cap. The brown Corojo wrapper was in excellent shape with very minimal veins to be seen. The pre-light aroma was of green tobacco and was very fragrant toward the foot of the smoke. The cold draw produced a blast of spice that was unexpected and finished with a pleasant woody character.

Burn, 1.7:
The draw on the El Baton was excellent as I toasted and lit the robusto. The smoke was very aromatic with an earthiness and spice that filled the room. The burn line was jagged at times but never required a touch up, even though one side was always ahead of the other throughout the smoke. The ash was light gray in color and held well at all times.

Flavor, 2.7:
The first good puff on this Nicaraguan puro was of earthy tobacco and spice that leaned towards pepper. As I got into the first third, the above trend continued with the introduction of some leather on the finish. The spice was not pronounced in my opinion but was always present. In the second third, the flavors defined themselves and consisted of earthy tobacco, hints of wood, and the ever present spice that was in the pepper family. The last third seemed to smooth out a bit; the spice was still present but at times had a hint of sweetness to it.

Overall, 2.8:
Overall, this was a well constructed and flavorful smoke. I am a fan of Nicaraguan tobacco and this cigar was a good representation. The price point at around five bucks a pop was excellent and I would not hesitate to recommend this cigar for a good, solid, ninety or so minutes of relaxation.

(Total: 8.9)