View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #11
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Why not BIGGER than 1-3 cup Mokapot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
They make 12 cup Mokas? Really?
Really. I don't think Bialetti makes one, though. Mine is a no-name black anodized aluminum pot and, yes, it makes fine coffee - for a crowd. I've probably used it half a dozen times in the past 7-8 years. It was a gift from a Euro-friend, purchased in Belgium. I would expect they're common enough in Europe. Something just right for a coffee-drinking family of five or six, maybe. Or an Icelandic Bering Sea fisherman with a small crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris45set
I recently bought a six-cup I found at Target ... I will admit ... I am vibrating like a tuning fork... But it is so very tasty . . .
Yes - they make a great drink as cafe-au-lait. That's the problem with the bigger pots, see? You drink one big mug, then another... by the time you've got water heating up for the next round there are three or four paramedics and a couple of riggers trying to peel you off the ceiling, get you stabilized and return your vitals back to pre-launch calm.

There is a reason why euros look at our coffee mugs and ask, "How can you possibly drink so much coffee?" They do not grasp that our US standard drip is about 1/3 (or less) the intensity of their typical brew.

I did the moka cafe-au-lait overdose once. The coffee was spectacular but, less than an hour later, I felt like I was going to crawl out of my skin. What else can I say? The stuff is delicious when you nail the brewing procedure but it can raise hell with your heart and bloodpressure if you're imprudent.