Old 07-09-2009, 05:57 AM   #17
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is a very good Espresso machine

Still waiting for my Oscar to arrive but my Baratza Vario arrived with all my espresso toys. I looked at all the usual suspects for a grinder, madcap, mini mazzer, compak k3 and the 24" tall super jolly. The Vario beats all the grinders except for the jolly in blind espresso tasting and it comes in just behind or tying the jolly. It may also be able to switch back and forth from espresso grind to the extreme of press grind with little effort to find the sweet spot returning to espresso, which means 1 grinder on the counter instead of 2. If I have to go with 2 it looks very at home sitting next to the Baratza Virtuoso. The Vario is not stepless but does allow 10 macro grind changes with 22 micro steps of each macro setting. Compared to the Virtuoso it is amazing, I have been over caffeinated dialing in grind for my moka pots, instead of 1 click coarser or finer taking me out of the sweet spot with the virtuoso there are 22 increments at least to play with.

Bored with a moka pot, 20 years of using them and I am still getting more out of the darn things. I have to agree with Mr Moo 100% on grinders, you can't have great coffee without a great grinder.

Edit: Oh yeah...Oscar, Vario, espresso toys $1500... Look on my wife's face, priceless until I realized it was murder in her eyes.
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote