Old 06-01-2010, 07:16 AM   #49
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2010 Formula One Thread

I also wouldn't take his comment as the official Red Bull line on the incident. Neither Mateschitz or Horner have commented on it other than to say how displeased they were with the incident as a whole and how unnecessary it was. He's the only person I've heard take Vettel's side and quite honestly it's a ludicrous stance. In reality I don't care if that's RedBull's official line, if it is then they're ignoring the simple facts of the incident and they're wrong.

Vettel veered into Weber's line after 1/2 completing a passing maneuver, end of story. That's a driver error and one that's 100% Vettel's fault every single time.

Think about it; we're on the highway and I pass you. Instead of waiting until I'm fully clear and past you I decide to move back into your lane when only half car of my car is ahead of yours. Because of my decision to move over our cars contact causing a crash...... and somehow that's your fault? I'm sorry but that's a stance that's both completely wrong and doesn't make sense with any scenario on either a racing track or public road.

The simple fact is that the overtaking driver has the ultimate responsibility to ensure that he overtakes in a manner that is safe for everyone. If he can't, or doesn't, complete the pass (and being 1/2 a car length ahead is NOT a completed pass) it's not the responsibility of the other driver to let him through. Unless being blue flagged, the driver being overtaken has every right to hold and defend his line which is exactly what Weber did.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote