Thread: Beef Jerky
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #63
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Beef Jerky

I currently use a different method for my jerky. To comment on something Peter said on post #1, I think you
are actually better off with a thick sauce, it really works well in the end. Thin is good for imparting a salty
quality, but not much for flavor I have found. The thicker sauce the better, at least on my dehydrator.

http://www.nesco.com/category_449f7f..._39febe0b9343/

This is the basic unit I use, although it doesn't look like this one. Mine is probably 4+ years old now, so their
R&D has cranked out a more spacey looking one I am sure.

I go to the store and decimate the reduced for quick sale rack. Beef is pretty good about not going so bad
that you can't make jerky out of it, even in a reduced rack. Never got bad beef that way. I am sure it could
happen. This method ensures I always have some variety. Usually get top sirloin steaks cut thin, round roasts
cut into medallions, chuck shoulder steak, almost any cut will do. I find a lot of T-Bones that way, too, and
they work well. Stay away from anything with the word ARM in it. Flavor is not worth the money at any price.
You have to do a lot more work with a knife than with London Broil, when you grab random kinds of meat, but
there is good flavor variety. Plus I have dogs and I enjoy meat cutting. Anything over 3/8 inch is kind of useless
and remember, fat does not dehydrate and it barely renders, in fact at jerky temps, it plain old DOESN'T render,
so avoid large fatty parts, and even good marbling is sometimes too much. I usually make two trays worth at a time.
Sometimes just for me, sometimes my co-workers buy it. Off the reduced rack, you can get the price down pretty
low. I don't use meat that is entirely brown, I would grill that, but not dehydrate it. As they say, it's all pink on the
inside, but jerky is too low a heat to risk it. And of course, your nose should tell you if it's safe, too. Even it a
person has no smoker, I would suggest getting a dehydrator if you ike jerky. They are about 35-50 bucks and
pay for themselves FAST, especially if you like jerky, which I don't have to tell you, is like gold price-wise.

I need to go back and check, I suddenly remember writing all this once before, haha.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote