View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Oliva V Melanio - Petite Corona

This will be done according to the old SMOKE magazine style of reviewing.
0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: Beautiful chocolate wrapper hugs this nicely boxed pressed stick. The bands set it off nicely, making this a magnificent presentation. Light veins, but nothing that detracts in anyway.

Score for aesthetics: 5

2) Pre-light Construction: Firm from head to foot, this appears to have flawless construction. After the cut, the draw seems perfect, something that box-pressing a cigar can often constrict.

Score for Pre-light construction: 4.8

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: As I thought this draws nicely. The ash is a nice even grey and hangs tenaciously for a good inch +, being coaxed off rather begrudgingly. I had a nice cool smoke down the nub.

Score for post-light construction: 4.9

4) Flavor and strength: Right from the start I got some cocoa and coffee with a bit of spice. Dancing upon my palate was a symphony of flavors, crescendo-ing and softening, highlighting different things as it progressed. While there were other flavors present, I wasn’t smoking this to review it, so I didn’t pay attention to it in that manner as I might have. I was simply impressed that I was enjoying it so much. Oliva Vs are probably my favorite stick, but this was… more… That’s all I can say. It was never harsh or overbearing. I cannot comment on the nic hit, for I am not affected by it. However, the flavors were rich and full.

Score for flavor and strength: 5

5) Aftertaste/Finish: Light cocoa and spice lingered upon my palate for a bit, not heavy or light, just nice.

Score for aftertaste: 4.6

6) Aroma: I loved the room note – dark, sweet, and rich. That is the best way to describe it.
Score for aroma: 4.9

7) General Comments: I got two of these, and while I only smoked one, I know that I need to get some more of them. Too bad that I am not in the position financially to get a box of them or I would. I have had a box or two in my “cart” at a couple retailers, only to walk away because I just shouldn’t. This is a cigar where I believe the price (at $7-$8 a stick) is incredibly fair.

Overall score for the cigar: 4.85

8) Recommendation: This is one of the few cigars that I would label “Highly Recommended,” and I do so without hesitation.