Thread: OK, why?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default OK, why?

Hopefully that beginning got your attention. If you are here reading this, I guess it did. What I am hoping here is to be educated a bit. (But you need to read to through my preamble to get to the question)

I am a big fan of the tried and true. I cut my teeth on cigars in back in 1976 when I snagged a cigar from a dude I was caddying for...he had a whole box of Dutch Masters Presidentes in his golf bag. I figured since I had to carry them around, I deserved one! (I was 14, cut me some slack)
Well, when I was in college, I got to try some great smokes and they became regulars in my rotation.
Arturo Fuente: Rothschildes, Chateau Fuente, and Heminway Short Stories ($63 a box). (as I hung out with John Nitschke, I brought Mr. Nitschke an AF Chateau in the maduro and asked him to forgive me for taking one of his DMs. He laughed, we enjoy a beer and a cigar, and he informed me he enjoyed his DMs more.)
El Rey del Mundo Robustos were a wonderful smoke, and when I picked some up a couple years ago, I lit one up for a walk in the woods after grouse, and was amazed as the flavors and side-slip smoke transported me back, it was incredible how consistent they were.
Punch Rothschilds were the other ones that were a regular part of my rotation.

A few Partagas would slip in once in a while, or maybe a Hoyo de Monterrey. Padrons were another that made it in on a regular basis.

That's how it went until the '90s and lots of new brands came around Nick Perdomo was putting out some good stuff, Litto Gomez came on the scene, and thousands of other wanted to cash in on the boom. Some were good, some were awful, and some made awful seem really tasty.

I got skeptical very fast and didn't try new things unless someone I knew (who had some money to afford the $10 Don Whodahell's latest offering) said that it was a great smoke. And I might plop down the cash to try it.
Opus X came out, and they still don't burn straight.
Partagas 150s were excellent... I bought a box of the robustos when I had saved up the cash from a couple weddings and a funeral.

Since 1980 I have seen a lot of cigars come, and many of them go. So, I am hesitant to try new things. I have developed a few new favorites over the years since then. Recently I am enjoying a few of the Curivari lines, and I really enjoy The Tabernacle (in different wrappers). There are also a few others, but those are the most recent.

OK, here it is.

What cigars have appeared on your radar in the last 3-5 years that are new to the market that you are really enjoying? And why are you now a fan?

Thanks!

Peace of the Lord be with you.