View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #148
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Guzzini's are hard to find and very pricey but well made; anything Bialetti is going to be fine. I never tried the $6.95 Chinese versions at the grocery store.
I noticed that the one or two Guzzinis I found online yesterday were rather expensive, I think $90 or so, That's way more than I want to spend for casual use. I happened to be in the neighborhood of a CostPlus Worldmarket yesterday, so I ducked in to look what they had. Meh. They had the $6.95 Chinese knock-off of the Bialetti, piced at $19.99 (3-cup). Looked and felt like total junk compared to the Bialetti I looked at the other day at Target.

Quote:
AeroPress and mokapat are two ways to approach the taste of espresso without the $ investment or learning curve. I recently ran espresso (Nuova Simonelli Oscar), moka and AeroPress coffee from the same batch of beans and taste-tested them, side by side. The grinder was a Mazzer and the grind was specific to each coffeemaker. Tell you what - they were all different but not THAT different. Each was good in its own way; the AeroPress makes a VERY smooth espresso-like brew, by the way.
Ok, so it seems I was a bit off on my understanding of the Aeropress. I'm liking the 1-4 cup versatility, I'm liking the fast brew times (can't stand bitter, acidic coffee/espresso - the lower caffene content is a bonus), liking the filter to prevent sludge & crap in the coffee/faux-espresso. Also interesting is that I can't seem to find any negative reviews on the Aeropress, usually there is always at least someone who hates something, but with this nope, zip, zilch, nada. Closest I can find is someone sayig "350 filters lasting two years is misleading. Who only makes one espresso every other day?"

Will the Aeropress work with the pre-ground espressos? Or is that too fine a grind?

Lastly, how much coffee does each scoop hold? I saw someone on amazon write that each scoop is 3 tablespoons. Not teaspoons, but tablespoons. So to make 4 aeropress shots you need 3./4 cup of ground coffee??!?!?

Quote:
I never used one but some reliable non-purist coffee'ites I know swear by (not at) the Brikka. I wouldn't have one - prefer making my own crema the olde fashioned way. I believe the pressure/crema widget in the Brikka in similar to that in the Mukka (of which I have a pair); it works well to produce latte-like milk froth in coffee if it is milk froth you want.
Ok, seems I phrased that poorly or mistook some commentary about the device then.

Not really into lattes to be honest.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote