Old 04-12-2016, 10:46 PM   #1
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation
Default Warlock Short Belicoso Review

It’s been a seriously long time since I’ve done a review. So I'm going to toss one out there just because. Now I generally hang out on the Habanos section. This is a cigar that's a little out of my wheelhouse, but someone threw one my way and I’m curious enough to give it a go.

It’s a Warlock. A short and fat thing from Nicaragua, though it's not a puro. I seldom smoke short fat things. A robusto is pretty much my limit on the fat side. This sucker has a 60 ring gauge. I don't know that anything called a Warlock would be my first choice either, but it's good to break out of the rut once in a while. And I do like Nicaraguan tobacco.

The construction seems pretty decent. It’s a belicoso, albeit a short and fat one. Snipping the foot reveals a pretty good draw so away we go. The sun is down so it’s just me, my coffee and the Warlock under a clear half moon evening.

I’m about a third through it now. Good draw. Even trouble free burn. I give it an A on construction. Not much flavor though. I like ‘em to bite back a bit, and the Warlock seems to have left it’s teeth at home. This is a milder cigar. More vegetative in taste. No, grassy. This is definitely a fresh grass tasting smoke. Haven’t smoked anything like this in a long long time. The ash is hanging like a trooper.

Looks like the vegetative grass flavor is in it for the long haul. Not at all what I would expect from Nicaguan tobacco. It produces copious smoke and the burn and draw are near perfect. Just a bit one dimensional and mild compared to what I usually light up. This would be a great smoke for anyone trying to learn how to nose exhale. There’s no harshness at all in this thing. It finally did a self ash around the halfway point.

Well, it never really changed from what I’ve already written. The flavors did become a little more pronounced near the end. The wrapper has imparted a bit of pepper on the ol’ lips, and it did develop a little sweetness. It’s mild and smooth. Grassy and a good smoke producer. I never had to touch it up - it burned even with a great draw all the way. If you prefer them on the mild side you could do worse than the Warlock. I’d classify it a breakfast cigar. Not at all what I expected, which was actually a good thing. Sometimes you need to take a side road along the journey.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote