Thread: Cooler-dor
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cooler-dor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Those aren't beads. They're "gel" (super absorbent polymer treated with propylene glycol if you want to get technical) .

And, they are "meh".

They're great for releasing humidity, but only mediocre at maintaining a set RH and really sluggish to absorb excess humidity out of the air.

My recommendation would be to return them and get actual 2-way beads from either Michael (cigarnut) at HCMbeads.com or HF beads from heartfelt.com

I have the Coleman 150qt Marine cooler and with the lack of wood in these things, even with a bunch of boxes, there still isn't a lot of wood in them, you really need something that will absorb, as well as release humidity. If you buy a lot of sticks online, they normally arrive very 'wet'. Having beads are the only way to go, as they will stabilize your sticks (IMO) much faster. I use the HF beads in my cooler and in our climate (midwest) only have to add distilled water to them 2 or 3 times a year. The recovery time for a humi with beads in it is impressive. I used the gel in my small humi before upgrading to the cooler and they struggled to keep a stable level. If you do go with beads, go ahead and over estimate what you'll need, since they are 2-way, it'll help keep recovery times down.