View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beer with Syrup - Do you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney View Post
Berliner Weisse

I was in Berlin a few months ago and ordered 3, one with Raspberry syrup, one with Woodruff syrup (green, tastes kind of grassy/earthy), and one plain. They only had the two flavors or I would have ordered more.
The waitress was hesitant when I ordered the plain (actually shook her head and said something like "you don't want that", but I insisted). Berliner Weisse is pretty sour and most people have never had or enjoy sour beers, especially dry sour beers like Berliner Weisse. Those sweetened lambics are not "real" lambics, in other words not true to the original style.
Anyway, they were all very good, the flavored Berliner Weisse really does not taste much like beer at all, more like soda. But I enjoy it occasionally, very refreshing on a hot day, and a low ABV means you can enjoy a lot of them without passing out.
I started reading this thread and the first thing that popped into my head was Berliner Weisse! I totally agree that when mixed with the fruit extract it tastes more like soda than beer. These beers are usually pretty low alcohol too as you state.