View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #12
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation
Default Re: Air filters & you: The for cleaner air.

One mans opinion... Filters are good for cleaning up the residual smells but not 100% effective on the main issue of smoke / smoke residue within the room.

Getting rid of the smoke before the particulate can settle is still the best option. Even the best filters don't move enough air/filter at the sub micron level to prevent "settling".

Ozone generators help with the smell. Filters help with visible smoke and some % of the particulate issue. The best solution is probably a combination of all of the above. If you can get rid of the smoke with an exhaust fan it's the best starting point. Filtering the residual air and putting some Ozone in the environment periodically become much more effective.

I've had a smoke room for around 8 months so a limited experience but here it is:

Exhaust - run 3 - 400 cfm fans at varying speeds depending upon how many smokers. At max can turn the air in the room over every minute and a half or so. In reality the air patterns seem to cause the smoke to rise and exhaust fairly completely on a mid to high setting. Tend to leave it on at a low setting overnight after smoking just to flush everything from the room..

Filter - Run a particulate filter continuously, its a tower electronic thing from Sharper Image with many blades to clean. I think this is redundant regarding smoke and smell but I had it so its sits in the corner and runs. Not the same airflow as a filter only system but moves enough air to require cleaning every few weeks.

Ozone - Air Zone 400 - 40-400 MG hr ozone generator. Typically run this for a half hour every week or so on high. Nothing kills the residual smell like ozone. Ozone doesn't smell all that good though.

Spray air freshener - Takes that residual smoke or ozone smell away - primarily for the boss lady so no ashtray comments. Typically give a quick spray when I leave the room.

Cleaning all room surfaces. Every 2 weeks every piece of furniture, tables and floors get wiped down. Jane can smell residual from horizontal surfaces after a week or so - thus the cleaning. After a few hours of post smoking treatment, the only residual smells come from surfaces that particulate settles on. In my case it's minor given the airflow, filter and ozone but it becomes noticeable over time.

Wait what was the question again.