Old 04-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #3617
mk05
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
mk05 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I am like most of you now, torn between the subject matter and the essence of what Marc was getting at...So if you are trolling around for some advice, my best advice is always to improve the light when you intend to shoot something that you can control.

...If you can get enough bounced light to enter your cigar studio,your photos will go up in overall appeal exponentially. And by all this I mean DO NOT let your camera produce the lighting for your photos. No flash should ever come out of your cameraphone when you are setting up still life shots.

Second I would say to shoot the heck out of it. If you go to the trouble of taking multiple cabs of PLPCapart to shoot, make the most of your time, shoot angles, different formations of stacking, move the light around. The un-definable quality you spoke of that makes any old photo into a photo that you LIKE is the seemingly effortless interplay between light and framing that captures a NOVEL image for the brain. I can look through THOUSANDS of thumbnails of photos and stop dead on one that my BRAIN perceives as having an interesting composition of angles, colors or light. And I literally stop in my tracks and give it a longer, bigger look. Sad thing about composition is, that while people try all the time to TEACH it, it is not as easy as it sounds. Everyone likes different things and looks at the world in their own way. It is very hard to force a great photo into existence simply by applying all the rules of composition to the scene or situation.
That right there. Thanks, so what kind of DSLR, lighting situations, anything I should start reading, familiarize myself with?
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote