View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #22
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fathers Day ~ 1st time Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Practice, practice practice, and when you think you have it down, practice some more

BTW, Lump burns hotter (so you don't need as much) but probably costs more and may be harder to find.
Don't listen to Steve, he's like a weekend barbecuer or something.

He is right about one thing, practice is the best thing for you. It allows you to slowly make all the mistakes and
learn from them, and rarely will they ever be so big that you have no food to eat and share. It is almost always
fun and people are impressed.

BUT I have converted from Lump lately. It does burn hotter, so you do use less, but it also burns faster
so you use the same amount, lol. In the end it's simply a preference, or so I have found, in my limited experience.
I used the crap out of lump, and then one day I hit the semi-annual Kingsford sale at wherever it is, and that dang
stuff burned throughout my cook. It was no long cook or anything, but I was impressed by the fact that I tended
my smoker a LOT less with the briquets that day. Lump is awwesome for Steaks and grilling at high temps, but since
I cook low and slow most of the time, I want the bricks. I really liked the lump and used it for a few years.
But I am on the bricks now. You should try both to see which you prefer.

I am also thinking about getting one of those Brinkmann's for when I go to the Smokies later this summer. I want
something I can take over there new and leave it there. (cabin) I usually smoke 3 racks of ribs and a butt, and that
stuff is IMMENSELY BETTER off the grill than re-heated, even though i usually smoke it only the day before I travel over.
Is that taste worth 60 bucks?? I am not sure.
-----
Haha, I edited all my personal stories, I forgot we were not in the Smoker thread, where you can SEE Steve's mastery
firsthand....I was kidding, lol.

Last edited by OLS; 06-13-2012 at 06:40 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote