Old 12-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #29
mk05
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
mk05 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Black Garlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I had the most insane wild mushroom and yellow noodle soup recently in Singapore. Famous place called Din Tai Fung; a Chinese food chain in South East Asia. The umami flavors were so amazing, I almost fell of my chair!

Americans that do not think of umami flavor just need a few strong umami dishes to associate the flavor with the name. Most know flavor, but may not have the descriptor or memory point.
Exactly, all you need is a couple things to relate to what you already know, then associate that to umami, as said above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
By that logic, neither did the Japanese prior to the early 1900's, when they invented the word.

OK...so they got a hundred years head start being able to use it with mastery. This is like rolling your eyes at people using gunpowder vs bows and arrows. Or rolling your eyes at Copernicus or the guy who discovered that the world is round. Or a German rolling his eyes at the English because Shakespeare just discovered some words several hundred years ago. But this isn't the point, the point is that all you need is to relate and associate, and open your mind to new ideas.
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote