View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Robusto "B" Reviews/Discussion

Aesthetics: 2.5/5
First thing I'll mention is when I received the baggie, I noticed one of the sticks was significantly darker than the other two, to the point like it looked like a different wrapper leaf. The color sorter at the factory gets an E for lack of effort. Aaaaaanywho, I decided to make my first one the one that had a chip of the wrapper missing from band removal just to get it out of the way. Not a pretty stick by any means, but not hideous either, just, meh. A number of prominent veins throughout, a touch splotchy, and not exactly the healthiest wrapper. Again just meh, could be worse, could be better.

Pre-light Construction: 3.5/5
Cap clips off easily. A lightly spicy earth aroma from the wrapper. More of that spice and some light tobacco aromas from the foot. Draw is the tightest of the bunch so far, but not overly tight. It has the potential to be a problem down the road. A nice light spice in the prelight draw.

Post-light Construction/How it smoked: /5
A small crack near the cap developed as I lit the stick and I ended up just tearing off the tab of tobacco so it wasnt such a nuisance. This wrapper just keeps falling apart, and I can't blame it all on the band removal, a crack forms by the burn line near the start of the second third, and the crack by the cap keeps getting worse. Its not affecting the draw really, its just a nuisance more than anything.

First Third: 3/5

Some spice on the initial puffs. The spice fades a touch and reveals a nice light earthiness. Fairly mild though. I keep finding a light grassiness trying to find its way in, but its more prominent on the finish. There's almost a Kelner-like mustiness. All the flavors are becoming super muted making this almost bland, and it looks like thats how the first third is going to round out.

Second Third: 3/5

Luckily, the flavors are coming back, with the light spice heading them all off. At this point I'm convinced these are a Kelner stick, albeit one of his lower end ones(not an Avo, Davidoff, etc). Just took one puff too quick and was greeted with a quick flash of harshness, won't be doing that again. Flavors are remaining the same, but they're enjoyable so I can't complain too much. Just entirely one dimensional. The mustiness comes to the forefront to round out the second third.

Final Third: 2/5

More of the same into the final third with no sign of changing. Really nothing to report here in the final third. It gets a touch harsh, and I'm strongly considering putting it down and chalkin this one up to being the dud of the box. Went ahead and laid it down with a bit over an inch left. Lets hope the second stick is better.

Aftertaste/Finish: 3/5
A light sour grassiness initially to the finish. A little sweetness and spice is making its way in at the end of the first third.

Aroma: 2.5/5
Nothing really to report in this department. It was such a light smoke I got no significant aroma.

General Comments:

It honestly wasn't a bad cigar, its just something you'd smoke when zoning out reading a book or watching a game early in the day(as it was fairly mild).

Overall score for the cigar: 2.75/5

Recommendation:
Might Recommend, depends on price point and purpose. This would be a good yardgar or golf stick.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote