View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 06:25 AM   #2583
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NHL '09 - '10 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Dollar Bill broke my heart when he let Chelly go to Detroit. Wortz said Chelios only had another year left, and wouldn't give him a long term deal. He played 10 more years.

Chelios told me a funny story about his first day as a Wing. Brendan Shanahan was playing for Detroit then, and he and Chelios had been hateful enemies when Chelly was a Hawk and Brendan was a Blue.

Chelios walks into the locker room, looks over at Shanahan...and Shanahan just starts shaking his head and laughing hysterically. That gets Chris and everyone else laughing, and as pretty much happens in hockey, they are loyal teammates from that day forward.
That's a great story. It's a good example of how guys are. One minute they can be beating each other's brains in, and the next laughing about it and buying each other drinks.

Like I said as a fan it took a little getting used to, but man did I love how Chelios got under other guys' skin. I remember when Theo Fleury came back from rehab while with the Rangers. I think it was one of his first games back and Chelios said something to get under his skin. Fleury slashed him so hard he snapped his own stick on Chelios and got himself tossed from the game.

According to Fleury's book a lot of players gave him a hard time about this drug use. Supposedly Chelios was one of the repeat offenders, holding his finger to his nose (simulating coke use) and asking him if he was "due back in rehab".

Not that Theo was some saint. Apparently Mike Keenan (Blackhawks coach at the time) was arrested for drunk driving in 1990. That year during a game, Keenan was chirping at Fleury from the bench. Theo skated by and said “Hey Mike, do you need to borrow my driver’s license to get home?”

Now that I'm done with that little tangent....LOL. Gotta love hockey. It's not a game for the weak.