Old 07-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #17
brigey57
Smoke me if you can...

First Name: Bri
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
brigey57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cutter and Lighter recommendations

The bottom line is it will all boil down to personal preference more than a personal recommendation from one of us here. But after saying that I'll provide you with my personal favorites.

What would you recommend for lighting cigars? I have several butane lighters that I really like, but I would suggest that you put the best fuel into the lighter. Nothing less than triple filtered butane fuel. It's a little more expensive but you'll thank yourself for the time you get to use your lighter versus messing with the lighter to get it to work.

What would you recommend for cutting cigars? The longer you are into smoking cigars the more you'll purchase various cutting tools. You'll purchase various cutters in your smoking travels and get a bunch as gifts but my favorite cutter is a xikar see: http://www.xikar.com/, but I also have V-cutters, punch cutters and a clipper that looks like a pair of scissors but they are not used for cutting paper. Hahaha! One other thing, cutters are made for various shaped cigars and your personal preference will determine what you like using and what you become comfortable with.

Also is it better to buy in person, or is online purchasing fine? I think I would be fine with online. This again becomes a matter of value and comfort with the on-line merchant. I've done both and don't have a particular preference.

Good luck to you on your onward quest for the best smoking experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb437 View Post
So I have read mixed things about cutter vs punch. I have also read mixed things about torch vs soft flame vs matches. I figure this is as good a venue as any to get some solid advice. I am just getting into cigars and I think it is time to get some tools of the trade. I am planning on building a coolerdor for storage but that presents a second issue. I normally smoke cigars while out with friends or at a smoking establishment where they have a cutter and matches I can use. If I have some sticks at the house I figure I can have friends over to smoke. With that I will need to pick up a cutter/punch and also a lighter or matches. That's a bit long winded just to say...

What would you recommend for lighting cigars?
What would you recommend for cutting cigars?
Also is it better to buy in person, or is online purchasing fine? I think I would be fine with online.

If you have a specific model or brand let me know and I can go from there.