View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Need some help from the HVAC guys...

Thanks guys.

Neither pushed the whole system idea at all. They just kind of threw it out there.

They both did discuss just replacing the compressor. The first company just said "not worth it" and the second company actually sort of broke down all the components of the outdoor unit that need addressing (the coils needing a cleaning, bad cap, an issue with corrosion on a switch - all of which I saw with my own eyes - and the numbers did say it wasn't worth it.

Also, re: the cap - they both replaced it, found the system still did not work and then removed it. I was charged nothing for that so it seems like it's just part of working through the potential issues. The second one did say that he though the compressor was fine based on electrical readings, until he put the cap in and it still didn't work...

Scott, I had the first company come out first thing this morning and put in a new outdoor unit (before I saw your message otherwise I would have given you a call). They did a 2.5 ton Gibson, which matches the rest of my system, for $1900 total. My wife said the air conditioning is working better than it ever has so I'm happy.

Thanks again guys.