Thread: CAO La Traviata
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough
Default CAO La Traviata

I first heard about this cigar from @caocigars on Twitter. I was really excited about this cigar. With a price point of between $5.00 to $7.00 depending on size, this seemed like a nice price point. After hanging around on twitter for a while, reviews started to pop up on this cigar, and the consensus was that the La Traviata was a VERY good cigar for the money. After a few tweets on twitter, and reading through a few reviews on different blogs, I finally broke down and had a friend pick me up a few of these so I could review a couple. I can’t seem to find them anywhere in California, so I had to rely on friends to grab me a few. Thanks to Tim for hooking me up with these! You can read about Tim’s take on the La Traviata over at Stogielife.com, another great BOTL’s cigar blog!

Wrapper: Ecuadoran Habano
Binder: Cameroon
Filler: Nicaraguan ligero and Dominican blend
Size: Radiante 6″ x 52
Price: ~$5.95

Pre-Light: As I took a look at this cigar before lighting, the first thing I noticed was that the wrapper was nice and oily, and had a great sheen to it. Oily wrappers for me are usually a double edged sword. Usually, with oily wrappers, the cigar tastes really good, but I also tend to have trouble keeping it burning straight. As I ran this cigar across my nose, I got hints of spice, with a pure tobacco smell. I clipped this cigar with my ever trusty Palio, and lit up with my Ronson Jetlite.

1/3: As I started in on this cigar, the first flavors I got were some nice earth tones, with a little spice on the back of the pallete. As I continued on this first portion of the cigar, I got some nice coffee notes, with some leather. The smoke was very creamy, and coated my mouth nicely. The smoke billowed nicely as well. I was also very impressed with the draw on this cigar. It was a bit tight, but not so tight that I wasn’t enjoying it. It allowed just the right amount of resistance. The burn was a little bit wavy, but not so wavy that I found it necessary to take out my lighter and touch it up.

2/3: As I continued on this cigar, I went ahead and ashed the cigar, because I really didn’t want it getting all over me. It was a bit flaky, but at the price point, I almost expected it, so it wasn’t bothering me. At this point, I got some more of the earthy, leather flavors, with a little spice on the finish. The smoke is still nice and creamy, and plentiful as well. So far, for the price point, I am certainly enjoying this cigar.

3/3: As I finished up this cigar, I got more leathery, earthy notes, with the creamy smoke, and nice spice on the finish. I smoked this cigar down until my fingers were burning, and finally decided I needed to put it down, even if I didn’t want to.

Overall impression: Overall, this is a really good cigar. The price point is one that cannot be ignored. While its not the most complex cigar out there, the flavors I was getting were very very good, and the construction was outstanding. It is my opinion that the CAO La Traviata is worthy of a box purchase. Since smoking this review cigar, I have smoked 3 others, and they have all been just as great. I really enjoyed this cigar, and I recommend any cigar smoker, new or seasoned, give this cigar a shot!

For more of my take on cigars, be sure to check out www.cigarchoice.net

Smoke Em If You Got Em, Buy Em If You Don’t!
Scott

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote