View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #31
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: ever had a beetle infestation ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Mark, for some reason I'm thinking volatile oils need about 375*F.
I'm thinking those Sea cans that come in with cigars probably get pretty hot in the Carribean sun, and smokes don't seem to suffer?
Obviously the containers that are buried in the pile on probably don't get all that hot on the ship, but closed up and sitting in the shipyard they have to get pretty damned toasty.
Just thinking is all.
Yeah, but depending on the origin, those cigars might or might not be cello wrapped, then packed in boxes (some of which are near airtight) or mazos, then possibly shrink wrapped depending on origin, and finally packed into larger boxes. Some NC manufacturers are also known for pumping up the humidity in the cigars prior to transport. I'm not sure if Cuba engages in shipping cigars are higher humidity or not - although I believe their humidity tends to be high, so it kind of happens on it's own.

That's a lot of layers of protection to drying out or damaging the oils that you won't have if those cigars go in the oven. I also question the 120F for 1 hour as I'm sure that lots of cigars see those kind of temps for longer in transit, yet we still hear of beetle outbreaks.

I see putting cigars in the oven as being kind of like baking a cake in your dishwasher. You can do it, but it's really ****ing retarded.

Last edited by T.G; 10-14-2014 at 09:16 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote