View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough
Default Blue Label Robusto (Gran Habano)

Blue Label Robusto

Size - 5x52
Wrapper - Habano
Country - Honduras
MSRP - $5.00
Price Paid - much less (right now on sale at CI for $59.00/box)

These cigars are blended by Guillermo and George Rico, the guys behind the Gran Habano line, in the same Honduran factory. I picked up this Blue Label in a sampler of GH blends about 2 months ago. I have been looking forward to trying this as the GH line is favorite of mine, especially the 3 Siglos.

Construction - Seems fair to good. Overall smooth wrapper with some large veins and the cap is a little rough but it is firm with no major soft spots. Bunching is good with no stems.

Prelight - I clipped this one and the prelight draw is wide open but it doesn't seem too loose. I am tasting a bit of sweetness on the prelight.

1st Third - This lit up well and immediately yielded some light, sweet smoke with some nice spice on the nose. Definitely spicy, but not peppery, which is good for me because while I like spice I do not care for a peppery cigar. As I continue through the 1st third I am really enjoying this cigar. Some cedar, some spice, some cream.

It is not at all up front with the spice, which just sort of blooms in back of my mouth and is tickling my nose on the exhale. I'd say at this point I am 50/50 nose/mouth. The burn is slow and pretty even and the draw is on the looser side.

2nd Third - Moving into the second third I am still getting the nice bit of spice but a picking up more sweetness - definitely cedar, and more creaminess. The burn got a little wonky and required a touch but we are back on track now. Still holding ash.

Last third - The sweetness and cream are still hanging around but the spice is becoming more prevalent as well as a straight tobacco taste.

Overall impressions -

I have yet to be let down by any Gran Habano offering that I've had. Taking sale price into consideration this was a solid 8/10.

AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote